Thursday, August 26, 2010

Ha ha!

I'm writing this post just to prove Professor Kaufhold wrong on point one of his recent discussion about the end of the first term. I've been quite proud of the fact that I've been posting semi-regularly this term, because for my workshop I hardly posted at all.

As Murphy's Law would have it my laptop contracted a virus exactly when I needed it most to finish the first half of my script. Fortunately I'm at home visiting my family so I was able to download a five-day trial of MMSW on this desktop while my computer is debugged.

I'm within a few pages of my mid-point right now (I'm planning on it running about 90 minutes, so I'm aiming for 45 pages as a number-marker). It's been a very different process writing this as opposed to my last full-length: I'm not wracking my brain trying to come up with clever action sequences, I can just focus on the people and their eccentricities. But I don't want to make up wackadoo situations just for the sake of being weird (ie anything Wes Anderson does), I want my characters to be odd, but believable. Because as a rule, real people are so much weirder than movie characters. I want the amusement and interest on the audience's part to come from a kinship and familiarity as opposed to laughing at the absurdity of a man who breeds dalmatian mice.

Royal Tenenbaums is one of my favorite movies, coincidentally... but that doesn't mean I think it is well-written.

No comments:

Post a Comment