Friday, October 8, 2010

Second draft and reading

I am reading up a storm right now! I have just finished two Dan Simmons books, one horror and one sci-fi, and I'm currently reading these two memoirs by Frank Bruni and Aaron Cohen, as well as "In Cold Blood" (which I had to request from another library, because shamefully Hagerty did not have it). Now you may be thinking that reading more than one book at a time is stupid, but I read primarily while exercising at the gym. I've developed a technique using a clip to hold the book open on the elliptical or bike so that I can be hands-free.
In order to ensure that I do not get stuck with a slow, irritating story, I take several books and read 20-30 pages of each at a time. This expedites my otherwise interminable work-out. Occasionally I do get quizzical looks for lugging around several hardcovers on my way to the machines, but it is a small price to pay for an escape from the drudgery of physical exertion.

The second draft is not as exhilarating at that first run-through, but it's more satisfying in that it fills in the giant plot wholes and creates a more cohesive unit. At least, that's my intention. It may just be the screenwriting equivalent of "screwing the pooch."

1 comment: